[csw-maintainers] [csw-pkgsubmissions] yaz

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Jan 18 23:28:44 CET 2011

On 1/18/11, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> Wasnt the whole point of having the auto-git stuff in gar, to make
>> small patches like that trivial?
>
> I won't make this kind of patch. If I fix it I do it right. That means
> moving the documentation to autoconf substitution. There are already
> too many patches I have to take care of on upstream bumps. If upstream
> not already has done the autoconf-integration my patches probably
> won't get accepted anyway.

Do you not see rather large irony there?

"[I care strongly about making the best quality packages! Why is why
I'm not going to improve the quality of my packages!]"

There's nothing particularly "wrong" about doing a file-specific patch
for this sort of thing.
(quickie substitution of /opt/csw for /usr/local, in .info files)

Yes, it would be "nice" for the open software community at large, if
someone were to fully patch the autoconf stuff to update docs based on
--prefix cleanly.
But OUR community of users, should be more important than the global
community of open software.

If there's a choice between making *our* users happy Right Now, even
if the larger community is left out,  vs "well, Someone will do a Nice
fix, Someday"....

That becomes a choice between making our users happy, or making noone happy.
Please spend the extra 5 minutes to make *our* users happier?