[csw-maintainers] When a shared library needs a data file

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Wed Jan 19 09:34:17 CET 2011

No dia 19 de Janeiro de 2011 00:41, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> escreveu:
> Excerpts from Peter FELECAN's message of Tue Jan 18 08:42:46 -0500 2011:
>
> Hi Maciej,
>
>> I'm leaning toward 2 as for me the advantages overweight the
>> inconveniences. IMO, increasing the number of packages is not an
>> obstacle to whatever.
>
> I agree with Peter and Dago here.  An extra package is a small price
> to pay for the granularity that will pay off later.  I'd never shy
> away from an extra split if there is potential for long term win.

Agreed.

> I prefer -common to -magic (as per later discussion) as it's clearer
> that the files provided are somehow shared.  If you prefer -magic
> though, I wouldn't object too strenuously as it should be a
> libmagic-x.y.z shared entity only, no?

Yes, it could be shared between libmagic{1,2}, although it's only a
speculation.  The reason I prefer CSWlibmagic-somethingspecific is
that it's more informative.  The "-common" suffix suggests that this
is a base package for libmagic, which is fine, but not very
informative.  I thought about -magic, because it designates one
specific file that can be later phased out by removing a package - the
same idea that is behind shared libraries.