[csw-maintainers] Shared library placement, take 3

Maciej Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Mon Jul 18 13:03:02 CEST 2011

Hello maintainers,

I would like to revisit a topic that was discussed earlier[1][2] this year.
In short, it is the idea of keeping all shared libraries under /opt/csw/lib.
Everything is explained in the proposal[3] that I wrote in February.

The questions discussed were e.g. how to compile against an older version of
the library. One idea was to keep header and .so files in separate
directories; another idea was to have incompatible dev packages and that the
choice of the version would be made by installing or uninstalling specific
dev packages.

What are your thoughts about it?  Would you like to see the proposal
integrated into our shared libraries packaging policy?

Maciej

[1] http://lists.opencsw.org/pipermail/maintainers/2011-January/013624.html
[2] http://lists.opencsw.org/pipermail/maintainers/2011-February/013917.html
[3] http://wiki.opencsw.org/proposal:shared-library-placement