[csw-maintainers] ideas

Maciej Bliziński maciej.blizinski at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 12:43:55 CEST 2011

Em 09/07/2011 02:16, "Ben Walton" <bwalton at opencsw.org> escreveu:

> Excerpts from Maciej Bliziński's message of Fri Jul 08 13:06:39 -0400
2011:

> Hi Maciej,
>
> > Another thought: perhaps it would not be that hard to implement a
> > POC of automatic catalog signing. For example: a machine in a
> > private network, controlled by a trusted person runs gpg agent with
> > a timeout in the order of 3 days to a week. A cron job running on
> > that machine pulls the catalog file, signs it and pushes it back for
> > the rest of the automation to pick it up.
>
> This is a good idea.  I've been contemplating the design of such a
> system for a few days now.
>
> > At this point, there is a problem, that there is no verification
> > that the catalog pulled can be trusted. To fix that, we can
>
> I think something more 'on demand' is better suited here as that lends
> itself to better atomicity which will be important.  I'm thinking
> something along the lines of:
>
> Just before a mirror push is about to happen, something opens a socket
> to a daemon and says "please sign catalog current/i386/5.9 having sha1
> $sha1."  The daemon would then grab the catalog from a preset
> location, ensure the sha1 matches and sign it.
>
> The signature is then returned over the socket and the caller is
> responsible for placing it appropriately with the files.
>
> Having things designed like this removes some possible security
> issues.
>
> 1. If the client can only request catalog signatures based on the
>   tuple (catalog, arch, os release) and the daemon then goes and
>   reads the file from a run-time specified or hard coded directory,
>   the client cannot get 'just anything' signed.
> 2. Making the client responsible for placing the signature data means
>   that, given 1, we don't need to protect the daemon with encryption,
>   authentication, etc, as getting a catalog signature for a valid
>   catalog is public data that will be available on the mirrors
>   anyway.  It also removes privilege from the daemon so that it needs
>   read-only access to the data it will sign.
>
> If the client has enough access to manipulate the directory structure
> that the daemon will read, it can make the daemon sign a manipulated
> catalog.  This level of compromise means things are already in bad
> shape though, so it shouldn't be worse than the risks we have today.
>
> The daemon would, as you suggest, need a timeout so that a human needs
> to re-initialize the agent storing the pass phrase periodically and it
> could tell the caller if it was unable to perform signatures.
>
> I'm willing to code the daemon.
>
> With such a signing daemon in place, we can have a cron job running as
> a dedicated catalog/mirror maintenance uid that has the access needed
> to place catalogs and signatures and push to the live mirror area...It
> will update catalogs, get them signed, etc.  If the release proposal
> is accepted, this job could also be the one that moves things from
> unstable to current.

> [...]

Yes, here are some more. I like both ideas: the signing system initiating
the connection (easier to secure it), and the buildfarm deciding when to
sign. I have two alternative ideas.

1. The signing system listens, but the handling code is super simple, only
sets a flag. Then the cron job notices it, and signing occurs.

2. The flag is set on buildfarm side, there is no listener on the signing
side.