[csw-maintainers] Uncommitted packages in experimental

Maciej Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Thu Jun 2 23:57:16 CEST 2011

2011/6/2 Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org>:
> Hi,
> Am 02.06.2011 um 23:31 schrieb rupert THURNER:
>
> 2011/6/2 Maciej Bliziński <maciej at opencsw.org>
>>
>> Hello fellow maintainers,
>>
>> Currently, packages tagged uncommitted are not included in the
>> experimental catalogs. I find that I often want to try installing packages
>> before I commit code to the repository. To do that, I write shell scripts to
>> push packages out, then run gunzip and pkgadd. It would be easier if my
>> uncommitted packages were available for installation from experimental.
>>
>> Do others think it's a good idea to allow uncommitted packages in
>> experimental?
>
> imo it would be better to keep it transparent for others - i.e. if the
> package is public, the source which was used to get it is as well public.
>
> +1 for me. What's wrong with an early commit? It helps making the work
> available
> to others.

Looking back at my work with MySQL and PostgreSQL, it would be a long,
long chain of annoying, meaningless commits.  In git speak, it would
be work in a local branch, experimenting that I would not like to push
out before I arrive at a reasonable state and clean it up.

The question I was asking is - given that I do build uncommitted
packages for experimentation purposes (like, really, it's going to
explode if you touch it) - can we make it easier to get these
experimental packages out of the buildfarm?  If the experimental
catalogs can't be used for this purpose, I will continue using shell
scripts wrapping scp, pkgrm, gunzip and pkgadd.