[csw-maintainers] An end to IRC back-biting ?

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Wed Jun 8 20:35:58 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 6:12 PM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Mon Jun 06 18:52:51 -0400 2011:
>
> Hi Phil,
>
>> There was absolutely no positive effect to be gained from sniping
>> about me on the public channel, or even mentioning the issue on irc
>> in the first place, particularly as I'd already addressed the issue.
>
> You frustrate people.  People need to vent and say things like this
> when they're frustrated.  As many of us hang out in irc all the time,
> it's the natural place to do so.  It's the kind of thing friends do
> with each other.
> It's perception that counts here.
> Is it just me?  Maybe.  I don't think it's all you as it does take two
> to tango.  That being said, I have to wonder why so many others share
> the same sentiment?

Right now, "so many others share the same sentiment", because it has
become accepted practice to bitch about me to others, rather than
engage with me.
You mention people's perceptions of me; however, people's views of a
person, are strongly shaped by what other people say about that
person. Even people who have not had issues with me in the past, have
their attitude biased against me because of this stuff.

It's self-fullfilling. If people are getting reinforced by comments on
irc, "Phil is difficult to deal with", then as part of human nature,
they will view everything I say through a "negative" filter, even when
the content is neutral.

What I quoted from irc is a perfect example of the locked-in bias.
My behaviour was exemplary in this issue: I responded quickly, and in
a manner favorable to the person who approached me..

**yet they still griped about me** ??

How is this in any way equitable?
How did my actions in this case, in any way merit this treatment?

It seems like just the opposite should be the case.
An unbiased person might have even taken a moment to say, "Huh. Phil
is responsive to complaints about his own packages. Maybe I should try
to be equally responsive".

But the anti-Phil bias is so strong in some people, the notion of
cutting me some slack, or giving me some positive credit, seems
impossible.

>> How about we have an end to negatively talking behind peoples'
>> backs, on the supposedly " 'friendly' solaris channel"?
>
> The channel _is_ very friendly.

except towards me. unjustifiably.
you suggest I hang out there more, but why would I wish to when people
treat me like this? it's extremely unpleasant.