[csw-maintainers] Idea for a new check: binary name conflicts

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Sun Jun 12 05:11:04 CEST 2011

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 6:56 PM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:

> I don't see it as a conflict personally.  The filesystem provides a
> separate name space and we're using it.  If you want the system lp,
> either set the path accordingly or fully qualify it.  No point in
> jumping through hoops for something like this, imo.

Not everyone gets to dictate to their users, "Your path WILL be this,
and you dont get to change it".
Having to pre-screen support calls with, "and what is your $PATH set
to?", gets unpleasant.
And its all very well to say, "if they change their PATH, they're
unsupported", but those people still CALL.
So you first have to remember to figure out, "oh, maybe they're using
[this path], not [path we expect], and that changes everything".

It's nicer for support people, to have a consistently working
environment reguardless of which order someone's $PATH is set to.