[csw-maintainers] Code and package reviews

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Jun 27 01:29:27 CEST 2011

2011/6/26 Maciej Bliziński <maciej at opencsw.org>:

> The non-inclusion of reviews as a gating factor in the proposal is
> intentional.  It might of course change - but so far, it has been
> group's intention not to involve a human controlling package releases.
>
> Peer reviews are an excellent mechanism to improve quality.  My
> intention is to create an environment in which maintainers want their
> packages reviewed.

providing some kind of positive motivation is nice. Its a great
management strategy.
but what could be used as sufficient motivation?

>Package review status would then appear on the web, in places such as
>maintainer's page, and package pages in the buildfarm database.  It
>would be a form a beneficial peer pressure, where maintainers would be
>proud of having their packages reviewed

btw, we've tried similar incentives before, in the form of the bug scoring page.
While I think this sort of thing appeals to some, it is not universal.

Sadly, no amount of "incentive" helps in the case of a person who has
the attitude of,
"nothing appeals more to me than not having someone else review my work"
Additionally , it often happens, in all kinds of areas (software
programming, article writing, and others)
that the people who are most resistant to having others review their
work, are the ones that need it most
:(

Is that something you are ok with? Because that's what this sort of
thing comes down to in the end, really.