[csw-maintainers] Code and package reviews

Maciej Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Mon Jun 27 19:29:26 CEST 2011

2011/6/27 Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com>:
> 2011/6/27 Maciej Bliziński <maciej at opencsw.org>:

>>> providing some kind of positive motivation is nice. Its a great
>>> management strategy.
>>> but what could be used as sufficient motivation?
>>
>> My first thought is: giving helpful reviews!  This does of course mean
>> pointing out issues, but also giving explanations why the issues in
>> question are important, and suggestions how to tackle them.
>

> Errr... not sure how that is motivational there. maybe I'm not
> understanding what you're saying.

The motivation can flow from the helpfulness of reviews.  It's the
"thank goodness my package was reviewed" feeling.  It's when a
maintainer is glad and grateful for the feedback which allowed them to
make their package better.

> On the other side of the field,  I have a thought on motivation for
> the people doing the actual reviewing:
>
> Those who participate and do... (? x amount of package reviews per
> month/week, and also file 'y' amount of feedback/whatever?) could get
> to be recognized as being on "the review team" ?

Yes, sounds like a good idea.  Reviewing takes time and skill.  Only
having packages for review doesn't get them reviewed if there are no
reviewers around.  Recognition for doing reviews would definitely
help.