[csw-maintainers] Proposing new "x" flag

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Mar 8 18:29:09 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 7:22 AM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to introduce a new flag "x" in addition to
> the "p" (patched) flag. It should mean that the packages
> is "64 bit compatible", whatever that means:
> Thoughts?

Hmm.  2 thoughts:

1. that may be confused with "x86"

2. its interesting to note that sun USED to do this.. but now decided
to bundle everything together.
no separate 32 vs 64 bit packages that I'm aware of now.

> The last issue is particularly important to me as it should
> be easily visible to the end user if the module is usable
> with the new 64 bit perl.

Is there going to be a *separate* "64bit perl" package? or is there
going to be one single unified perl package, that is "64bit 'capable'"
?

I was going to make a suggestion, but realized that the answer to the
above, would change the relevence of it.