[csw-maintainers] Proposing new "x" flag

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Tue Mar 8 21:12:31 CET 2011

Hi James,

Am 08.03.2011 um 18:40 schrieb James Lee:
> On 08/03/11, 15:22:43, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote regarding
> [csw-maintainers] Proposing new "x" flag:
>
>> I would like to introduce a new flag "x" in addition to
>> the "p" (patched) flag. It should mean that the packages
>> is "64 bit compatible", whatever that means:
>
>> - it may contain 64 bit libraries
>> - it may contain 64 bit binaries
>> - it may contain perl modules suitable for 32- and 64 bit perl
>
> Picking up on language, packages may (and many do) include 64 bit
> files now so presumably you mean that they do/must include 64 bit if
> tagged x.

I should prepend "At least one of the following conditions must be
fulfilled:"

> Are you also proposing that if they are 64 bit they must be tagged
> x?

Yes.

> Requires repackage of a lot of existing packages before the
> flag is useful.

Well, as I wrote in my other email the main driver is Perl modules
and as all Perl modules will be rebuild for perl-dublin
  http://wiki.opencsw.org/perl-dublin
the flag would be accurate and usable at least for these packages.

Most of the other packages containing 64 bit are library packages
which need also to be rebuild according to -devel/-dev and single
library packaging.