[csw-maintainers] Proposing new "x" flag

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Mar 8 22:13:43 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> Am 08.03.2011 um 18:29 schrieb Philip Brown:
>> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 7:22 AM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
>>> I would like to introduce a new flag "x" in addition to
>>> the "p" (patched) flag. It should mean that the packages
>>> is "64 bit compatible", whatever that means:
>>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Hmm.  2 thoughts:
>>
>> 1. that may be confused with "x86"
>
> Because it is an "x"? If it is documented this should be no problem.

A general-case comment:
Documenting something that is counter-intuitive, does not make it not
a problem any more.

specific case comment:
its not in either the catalog name or the pkg name directly. So a
maintainer would have to do extra checking to find out this flaw.

you indicate that not having 64bit support would be the rare case.

As such, we might add a hint to the description, for the rare case.

pm_blah - CPAN::blah::blah something here (32bit)