[csw-maintainers] Obsoleting packages

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Mar 10 20:02:31 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 9:05 AM, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:

> Although I suppose I can do something with the "i obsoletes" file. But
> I also need to spend some time to make sure that any such automated
> replace, is a **safe** automated replace. It needs safeguards.
> That will take me finding some quiet time for coding.

nuts. this wont work. would require an extension of the new
"obsoletes" style packaging.

The problem is that what you guys have implemented (as far as I can
see), is only a
"this package is obsolete" flag.
Whereas what is needed for auto-takeover, is the other direction.
What we have usually done with  "conflicts with" .

You dont seem to have an "obsolete*s*" indicator. only an "obsolete" indicator.
The former, would be useful.