[csw-maintainers] compiler vs compiler

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Wed Mar 16 03:40:10 CET 2011

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Mon Mar 14 21:27:30 -0400 2011:

> With things that have complex build environments, and build tools, the
> "nice" thing for the maintainer to do, is to hand-patch the compiling
> wrapper to be "polymorphic".
> To change the arguments based on the value of $CC

This works, but is a pita for the maintainer and somewhat so for the
user.  I think a better approach is the one I'm taking with
ruby...Provide the sun cc version of everything by default, but it's
setup with alternatives for any binary, etc files that matter.  Then,
offer a -gcc4 sub-package that provides higher priority alternatives
that use gcc.

This makes it easier for the maintainer (build via modulations in GAR,
no patching required) and the users who can now toggle the preference
with a standard tool.

Thanks