[csw-maintainers] automated catalog promotion for packages

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Fri Nov 18 09:59:57 CET 2011

Hi Ben,

Am 18.11.2011 um 02:31 schrieb Ben Walton:
> We need to ensure that a package moving from unstable to testing does
> not break packages already in test and we need to make sure that a
> package cannot be promoted if the testing catalog does not provide the
> required interfaces.
>
> The pkgdb can help with this, but the questions we need to ask it are
> more complex.  I think Maciej indicated that we could run a set of
> packages that are up for promotion through checkpkg using the target
> catalog.  This would be a good way to ensure that binary stuff
> continues to function...it won't help with other types of interfaces,
> but that's a smaller problem overall in my opinion.

I had talked about this with Maciej some time ago. IIRC there were two major
concerns:

- It is really slow as it involves testing the catalog as a whole.
  This may be simplified to only look for new packages and all of their
  dependencies. The initial discussion was about testing this on every push
  to unstable which probably really is too much, but I guess it may be ok for a
  daily propagation.
- There are always lots of old errors from other packages disturbing the measurement.
  Last thing I remember was an idea to see if the number of reported errors
  lessened in total and that there were no new errors. That means
    errors(new catalog) subset of errors(old catalog)