[csw-maintainers] getting people onto dublin (from: stable)

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Fri Nov 18 14:11:51 CET 2011

Excerpts from Peter FELECAN's message of Fri Nov 18 03:26:15 -0500 2011:

> I'm tempted to say "go with it" but can you give the rationale?

It was prompted by a bug in my open list.  I currently have a bug on
findutils for the version in stable.  It's sporting a potential local
root exploit.  I'm not likely to setup a stack capable of fixing it as
I don't think that's time well spent now.

The generalization of this is that since nobody that I'm aware of
(Peter B tried long ago) is looking at any updates for this set of
packages, it harms us reputation-wise if people are still using it.

We can't make them upgrade if they're already using it, but we can
make it quite clear what the options are the next time they try and we
can also prevent the problem from getting worse.

I see Dago's reply though and that sounds like an ok solution to the
problem as well.  The end result is that we need to let anyone that is
using the old stable know that it's not supported by us any longer.
If they continue to run it, it's at their own risk.

Thanks