[csw-maintainers] Magic Cookie for catalogs

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Sun Oct 2 15:42:06 CEST 2011

2011/9/30 Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org>:
> Hi Maciej,
>
> Am 30.09.2011 um 11:06 schrieb Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński:
>> 2011/9/30 Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org>:
>>> I am currently fiddling with who mirrors OpenCSW, reaching mirror maintainers and
>>> finding "unauthorized" mirrors. For this it would be more precise if we would introduce
>>> a magic cookie in the catalog features which would help us identifying OpenCSW catalogs.
>>> I could then google for that cookie and find occurrences and match that against what
>>> we already have listed.
>>
>> Cool idea!
>>
>> echo -n OpenCSW | gmd5sum
>>
>> Currently does not match any documents.  (Not posting the actual value
>> to prevent list archives from coming up in search results.)
>
> Ok, I suggest cycling this on a regular (yearly?) basis like the hash for
>  OpenCSW 2011
> for really old catalogs to not show up any more.

I tried to think of a coherent scheme and couldn't.

When you think about it, there is already a lot of hashes in the
catalog, so we could use one of the existing ones.

maciej at quince:~$ curl -s
http://mirror.opencsw.org/opencsw/unstable/sparc/5.9/catalog | grep
^libz1 | awk '{print $5}'
eb5f2244811b5b4778f4bd2b5b34eda0

This search alone already gives you useful results.  Maybe we don't
need another hash after all?