[csw-maintainers] GCC 4.6 progress

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Thu Oct 6 17:09:52 CEST 2011

2011/10/6 Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org>:
> The best and easiest method to build gcc is to use gcc, especially if
> you wish to have an Ada frontend. This is why I asked if you build with
> Sun Studio or gcc.

Ada seems to be a special case, where you need ada to build it.  I
looked up build instructions, and the way to bootstrap Ada is to
crosscompile.  I talked with guys on #ada to find out whether there
are any people who use both Ada and Solaris, and found two people on
that channel.  However, they generally do not use the Ada
implementation from gcc.  They develop at a project called
dragonlace[1], which is upstream with relation to gcc.  Source code
merges from dragonlace to gcc are done at every minor version release,
so gcc sources lag behind dragonlace.

Problems:

- Unstable has been already updated with the ada-less gcc-4.6.1
- Ada from gcc-3.x is not good for bootstrapping ada from gcc-4.x

The plan:
- use the current* hosts with gcc-4.3.3 with Ada to build an
intermediate gcc-4.6.1 with Ada support
- use the intermediate gcc-4.6.1 with Ada support to build the
gcc-4.6.1 packages with GAR, on the unstable hosts
- update unstable with the new gcc-4.6.1 with Ada
- rebuild the gcc-4.6.1 packages with gcc-4.6.1.

Maciej

[1] http://www.dragonlace.net/