[csw-maintainers] dropping support for solaris 9?

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Mon Sep 5 16:14:51 CEST 2011

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Also, dropping official support does not preclude building packages
> for it at need/want.  Most people will abandon 9 for builds when we
> mark it unsupported, but a few packages will likely still be built for
> it.  I think Peter B still builds pkgutil packages for 8.  The key is
> that you, as a maintainer, are no longer bound to build for it doing
> 10-only packages in edge cases.

The build hosts may be available yet but it's much harder to build
packages for Solaris 8 now than it used to be since we also dropped
support for Solaris 8 in our own tool chain. It's impossible to run
modern GAR/checkpkg on the Solaris 8 build hosts. Also I have failed
in more ways than I can count to upload Solaris 8 packages to our
catalogs.

If we are to support Solaris 9 (and maybe even 8) in a limited way
there should still be a way to get those packages to our users in a
way that is not totally exhausting. Some verified documentation should
exist on how to proceed.

In general I'm all for dropping Solaris 9 after October though.

/peter