[csw-maintainers] the future of pkg-get...

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Sun Sep 11 15:51:16 CEST 2011

2011/9/11 Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org>:
> Excerpts from Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński's message of Sun Sep 11 05:32:06 -0400 2011:
>
>> If alternatives don't work for a single package, this scenario
>> sounds good. You mentioned in the other email that there could be a
>> separate package with the deprecated pkg-get, but it would be an
>> overkill.  The version in experimental looks good.
>
> That was my thinking too.  Although it makes the local site have to do
> more work to avoid altering scripts, providing two packages to
> accommodate this is overkill, I think.  Maybe sites that need to
> update scripts will choose to move those scripts to use pkgutil instead?

We certainly hope they will.  We also need to make an announcement,
because there might be existing automation systems relying on pkg-get,
and we don't want our users to find out the hard way.

At least the potential consequence will be a broken update system, as
opposed to a broken OpenCSW installation.