[csw-maintainers] Status of svn on the buildfarm (working copy upgrade)?

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Tue Sep 20 16:12:38 CEST 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 4:01 PM, Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org> wrote:
> I have an issue with this (IMHO its not a svn problem): why is mgar so
> huge? Each time I wish to approach gar based packaging I must incur
> something as 16 hours of checkout/upgrade/what ever. It's so long that I
> always forget what I wanted to do and I lose my motivation. Is not
> possible to have a better granularity? Last time I looked there were a
> lot of redundancy. Well, sorry if I misunderstood the subject.

This upgrade problem was caused by svn 1.7 requiring it and for some
reason a pre-release package of svn was uploaded to unstable and the
build hosts were upgraded with it. All local repos then had to be
upgraded to the new 1.7 format.

The time to do the upgrade is reasonable if you're on a Sparc host
which I unfortunately wasn't.

I think you're referring to us having the gar build system in every
package trunk which made svn ops much slower. Now with mgar we have
the build system just once and all trunks use that so svn is snappier
when not having to handle that.

Sure, a complete checkout takes a few hours but after that you can
work in your own areas of the repo. I rarely update the root of the
repo and even though people have worked on all kinds of things it's
only like 10 minutes.

/peter