[csw-maintainers] the future of pkg-get...

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Tue Sep 27 03:40:06 CEST 2011

Excerpts from Juraj Lutter's message of Thu Sep 08 07:49:34 -0400 2011:

> I would go with alternatives. It's elegant and "systematic"
> approach.

Having thought more about this, I decided that in order to provide the
best possible user experience, alternatives was better.  I've made the
adjustments required to see two packages generated, each containing an
alternative.

pkg_get_stub/CSWpkgget -> /opt/csw/bin/pkg-get.deprecationnotice
pkgget_deprecated/CSWpkgget-deprecated -> /opt/csw/bin/pkg-get.deprecated

CSWpkgget depends on CSWpkgget-deprecated and CSWpkgutil.
CSWpkgget-deprecated depends on CSWpkgutil.

The deprecation notice printed by
/opt/csw/bin/pkg-get.deprecationnotice contains the command required
to toggle the alternative back to a working version of the tool.

Given this setup, sites using pkg-get and wanting to continue can
either alter their scripts or reconfigure the altneratives
setup...whichever is easiest for their network.

With the catalog changes discussed in Kiel, we'll want to push this
out with lots of notice.

I'd appreciate verification of the updated packages, which are
available at: http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/experimental.html#pkgget

Thanks