[csw-maintainers] Question about stub files

Jeffery Small jeff at cjsa.com
Mon Apr 9 19:31:49 CEST 2012

Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> writes:

>> That's great.  Thanks.  I'm still migrating from pkg-get to pkgutil
>> and wasn't aware of that option.

>Did you by any chance do your upgrade with pkg-get?  If so, that would
>have potentially caused some of your problem.  Due to the way it does
>the upgrade, you could have ended up with no libssl for chunks of the
>upgrade.  That can wreak havoc much like what you described.

>The pkg-get upgrade process is a series of recursive remove/add steps,
>while the pkgutil upgrade is a series of iterative removals followed
>by iterative installs.

Yes, I was still using pkg-get because I have a large perl script based
upon it that integrates the upgrade/install process with local package
caching for quick access to the records of installed packages.  I did
notice that midway through the upgrade process everything broke because the
pkg-get script was renamed out from under me!  It took some investigation
to figure out what was happening and correct.  I'm currently in the process
of rewriting my script to use pkgutil in place of pkg-get.  Too many tasks
and not enought time!

Regards,
--
Jeff

C. Jeffery Small           CJSA LLC                       206-232-3338
jeff at cjsa.com              7000 E Mercer Way, Mercer Island, WA  98040