[csw-maintainers] Notes on pkgutil vs. pkg-get

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Thu Apr 12 18:22:28 CEST 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Jeffery Small <jeff at cjsa.com> wrote:
> 1)  pkg-get had a -S (sync) option that does not exists in pkgutil.
>    However, the -f (force) option probably does the same thing, and
>    hopefully better.  There is a -S option that can be assigned as part
>    of pkgaddopts to suppress printing of the license files.  I don't
>    know if this will cause anyone any problems.  It should probably be
>    documented somewhere.

The -S for pkgaddopts in pkgutil.conf is fed directly to the pkgadd
command and is an undocumented feature in Solaris that supresses the
copyright. Even though we like the GPL I think most of us hate having
it being displayed over and over again, Phil liked it like that but I
don't see Linux dists displaying the copyright at install time either.

So it's unrelated to the pkg-get -S option.

I'll get back to some of your other comments.

/peter