[csw-maintainers] Spring cleaning

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Mon Apr 16 19:35:31 CEST 2012

Excerpts from Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński's message of Mon Apr 16 13:24:09 -0400 2012:

> One thought about the spring cleaning we did: When we were dropping
> packages, we were dropping them from the 5.9 and the 5.10
> catalog. With packages such as Firefox, the argument is that a newer
> Firefox is available from elsewhere. However, it's only true for
> Solaris 10, not for Solaris 9.  I don't think there is a Firefox for
> Solaris 9. Therefore, maybe we should not drop some of the packages
> from the 5.9 catalog?

Given that firefox is a moving target and in fairly constant need of
updates to address new security issues, it's not attractive to put it
in a catalog unless it's updated regularly.  As solaris 9 is now best
effort and building FF for it has always been a pita, I don't see
keeping it around as a good option.

I also think that the number of folks wanting FF on solaris 9 has to
be quite small so there are unlikely to be many ruffled feathers over
the removal.

Personally, I'm ok with the choice made at the camp.

Thanks