[csw-maintainers] TeXLive packaging take almost 3 days

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Sat Dec 1 22:10:18 CET 2012

Hi Peter,

Am 29.11.2012 um 22:30 schrieb Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org>:
> I confirm a 50 times optimization for pathfilter.
>
> As for cswproto, still a hog, here is some additional profiling data:
>
> Total Elapsed Time = 1184.726 Seconds
>  User+System Time = 1060.576 Seconds
> Exclusive Times
> %Time ExclSec CumulS #Calls sec/call Csec/c  Name
> 98.1   1040. 1040.6 112180   0.0093 0.0093  main::is_common
> 0.09   0.980  0.980 112164   0.0000 0.0000  main::exclude
> 0.01   0.069  0.236      7   0.0099 0.0337  main::BEGIN
>
> As you can see the time is spent is determining if the components are
> part of the common package. I understood that in the future we get rid
> of that but in the mean time we need to find a quicker way to determine
> that relation. With the current optimization we probably can package
> TeXLive in 1.5 days which is still too much...

Indeed… That was not what I had expected by looking at the code as I would have guessed
it takes most of the time for during mkproto. I did some optimization on the regex-part,
it should now be a lot faster:
  http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/changeset/19800

Please let me know if you encounter any other performance issues.