[csw-maintainers] Let's delete the 'current' symlink

Claudio claudio at opencsw.org
Fri Dec 14 20:05:36 CET 2012

On 14-12-12 16:51, Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński wrote:
> We maintained it for backward compatibility. But I think in practice
> it confuses people, they think there's a release (or a branch) called
> 'current', or that whatever is in there, is up to date. All of that is
> not so, and maybe our users are better of without the symlink? I
> propose that we delete it, or replace it with a stub like we did with
> the 'stable' branch.

"stable" being a mantra for servers and the way to go for releases (e.g.
Debian Stable: older, but stable, maintained and secured), the name is
really confusing. Similarly, UNIX admins and engineers are not too fond
on running things named testing, unstable or experimental on anything
besides a personal laptop or a "toy" server. I agree with Maciej.

C.