[csw-maintainers] User writable tree for local CSW-based software

Claudio claudio at opencsw.org
Wed Dec 19 10:39:18 CET 2012

Hi,

There are cases when we will not supply the software and the user will
want to compile it himself using the CSW stack. This is a common case
for Perl modules (we can not supply all the 116002 of them, and you can
have modules out of CPAN). For that reason, Perl looks for this extra
user-supplied modules in a pre-difined originally empty directory.
Besides the new libs, man-pages and binaries are also placed there.

The Perl default (also used e.g. by Debian) is to use /usr/local for
this: /usr/local/bin, lib, share/man, etc. This is how I compiled the
Perl package. I had a talk with Dago, and we're unsure what to do in
this situation.

Do we mirror Debian and keep /usr/local? Advantage: known to UNIX users,
first place to look. Do we create a /opt/csw/local for a parallel tree
(lib, bin, share/man) to keep non-csw but related stuff ( (which won't
work without CSW libs/binaries) in our tree? /opt/local (I don't see
advantages to this one).

What do you think? Where do non-csw python eggs or ruby gems install?

C.