[csw-maintainers] Solaris 8 packages in named releases

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Sat Dec 29 10:51:39 CET 2012

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński
<maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Maintainers, how do you feel about it, is it helping, or is it adding
> to confusion?

No, I think it is now clearer.  Also, subscribing to named releases
instead of an alias is likely a good thing in the long run.  We are
free to introduce fairly radical changes between, say, Dublin and
Kiel, so having one suddenly replace the other because of subscription
to an aliased catalog isn't what we want.

A very simple addition to pkgutil will make moving to a new release
more obvious:

1. Look for $catalog_url/UPGRADE_AVAILABLE (name is for discussion
purposes, not a real proposal).
2. If found, display with pause before doing new package actions.

So, when we're ready to have people move from Dublin to the next
release, we place this file and pkgutil will now tell people that
there is a newer catalog they should subscribe to.  We can use this
file to point of some of the major differences between releases or
other things that have the potential to cause aggravation at the local
site.

I'll code the pkgutil bits if this is deemed a worthwhile approach.

Thanks