[csw-maintainers] High Performance SSH (HPN - SSH)

Yann Rouillard yann at pleiades.fr.eu.org
Sat Feb 11 18:10:20 CET 2012

Hi everybody,

I also compiled and put in my experimental repository an (experimental)
openssh package compiled with the High Performance patches applied:
http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/hpn-ssh/

You can easily install them with the following commands:
pkgutil -t http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/opencsw/experimental/yann -U
pkgutil -t http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/opencsw/experimental/yann -i
openssh openssh_client

I made some tests and noted a sligh improvement in a localhost scp test
with (30 MB/s -> 35 Mb/s). However according to the website, HPN SSH
should not make a lot of difference in a local network but rather across
the internet. If someone could help to do some more test, it would be great.

Note that there is currently a problem with the multi-threaded cipher
and forking so I will probably not enable this cipher in the end unless
this problem is solved.

Yann