[csw-maintainers] C++ libraries built with GCC

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Sun Feb 26 15:18:12 CET 2012

If we build any C++ libraries, we need to consider which compiler we
build them with. For example, if we want to build something that
depends on Boost, and we want (or need) to build it with GCC, we have
to build Boost with GCC as well. But Studio and GCC produce
incompatible libraries because of different name mangling schemes.

Therefore, I suggest that we designate a separate directory for GCC
C++ libraries. To keep things simple, --prefix=/opt/csw/gcc, and
--libdir=/opt/csw/gcc/lib.  Package names would be CSWlibfoo0-gcc and
libfoo0_gcc.

An alternative would be to patch sonames.

Thoughts?