[csw-maintainers] C++ libraries built with GCC

Maciej Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Sun Feb 26 20:19:29 CET 2012

Ben Walton wrote:
> Excerpts from Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński's message of Sun Feb 26 09:18:12 -0500 2012:
>
> Hi Maciej,
>
> The idea is good and we should definitely accommodate this nicely.  I
> don't like /opt/csw/gcc, but I haven't got a better name that doesn't
> also suffer from:
>
> 1. Top level directory proliferation.
> 2. Confusion with /opt/csw/gcc[34].

Maybe /opt/csw/lib/gcc would be a better location? I've experimented
with this in the past, with mixed results. Software packages generally
like their layout being modified by --prefix, and not by --libdir.

> If nobody has a better path name, I'd be inclined to go with
> /opt/csw/gcc as suggested.
>
> > An alternative would be to patch sonames.
>
> Patching the sonames feels much more invasive and would be harder
> (more work per package) to accommodate.

True. On the other hand, the results would be better accommodated to our
needs. We could keep both GCC and Studio libraries under /opt/csw/lib
and package name checking would not need to handle GCC libs as a special
case.