[csw-maintainers] What to do when upstream declares Solaris unsupported

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Tue Feb 28 14:29:19 CET 2012

Hi Maciej,

Am 28.02.2012 um 13:28 schrieb Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński:
> I've been poking VLC in the last days just because it was fun to
> fiddle with autotools. I was working around missing posix_memalign,
> and when someone on the vlc-devel list sent me a patch that redefines
> this function. I suggested testing for posix_memalign and saw this
> reply:
>
> "It is not optional. Why would we test for something that is always there
> except on broken systems that we do not support?"
>
> http://mailman.videolan.org/pipermail/vlc-devel/2012-February/086834.html
>
> I didn't see much about Solaris on the VLC website, although they say
> it works on Unix. What can we reply to the "unsupported" remark?

"Well, the VLC webpage says that 'VLC works on most platforms:
Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Unix...' and I am offering to push
'most' to one more of the Unix platforms. Is there something
wrong in fixing support for a platform?"

If they say "We don't want to clutter our code with obsoleted tests"
than you are out of luck, though.

:-)