[csw-maintainers] Symbol versioning for openssl ?

Yann Rouillard yann at pleiades.fr.eu.org
Mon Jul 23 14:47:21 CEST 2012

2012/7/23 Joerg Schilling <Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de>

> > BTW, openssl 1.0.0 seems definitely not ABI compatible with 0.9.8
> according
> >
> http://www.upstream-tracker.org/compat_reports/openssl/0.9.8x_to_1.0.0/abi_compat_report.html#Symbol_Problems_High
>
> And you are really sure that this works with Linux?
>
> Linux should also suffer from the incompatibilities.

Well I am sure this works with Linux because I did the tests, the example I
previously gave about Linux:   (
http://lists.opencsw.org/pipermail/maintainers/2012-July/017068.html ) is a
real life example (although I had to recompile packages to re-create the
situation).

And it doesn't seem Debian had to follow the same painfull process for the
transition, because they have used symbol versioning for a long time:

> It looks like you need to supply both libraries.

Yes I need to, but only one of them is really used at runtime under Solaris
and at least one library or binary is linked against the wrong ssl version
at runtime. That's the problem I am trying to fix.

Yann