[csw-maintainers] openssl relinking effort

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Fri Jun 8 14:53:47 CEST 2012

I noticed that the package libssl1_0_0 contains not one, but two shared objects:

http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/pkgdb/srv4/b60e3199428815622085fb93557a669f/files/

File: /opt/csw/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0
File: /opt/csw/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0

Since we're doing a larger rebuild effort right now, we should look at
it now and think if it's better to have them together or separately.

Here's a compiled list of sonames and numbers of dependent packages:

libssl.so.0.9.7 => 5
libssl.so.0.9.8 => 167
libssl.so.1.0.0 => 1
libcrypto.so.0.9.7 => 6
libcrypto.so.0.9.8 => 197
libcrypto.so.1.0.0 => 2

So there are packages that depend on libcrypto but don't depend on
libssl. If we separated libcrypto from libssl, we'd reduce the
dependency footprint of ~30 packages (197 - 167) by 1 package.

Thoughts?