[csw-maintainers] zeromq build failing on i386: Too many open files (signaler.cpp:300)

Romeo Theriault romeotheriault at opencsw.org
Tue Jun 19 06:24:11 CEST 2012

Hi, I'm trying to build zeromq[1]. It builds fine and runs through all
it's tests successfully on sparc 9 and 10 but when building on i386,
both 9 and 10, it fails on a specific test with a "Too many open files

PASS: test_reqrep_inproc
PASS: test_reqrep_tcp
PASS: test_hwm
Too many open files (signaler.cpp:330)
/bin/bash: line 5: 15412 Abort                   (core dumped) ${dir}$tst
FAIL: test_shutdown_stress
PASS: test_pair_ipc

I figured this would be a simple fix, by increasing the file
descriptors, which I did by putting the following in my
~/.bash_profile:

ulimit -S -n 10000

but the build still fails on the same test during the build. I've
verified that if I login to unstable10x (for example) that the ulimit
for my user is indeed increased.

Odd thing is, is that the file descriptor limits on unstable10x and
unstable10s look almost the same....

Has anyone run into a similar issue and found a work-around? Or is
this likely more of a problem with the code?

Any tips appreciated,
Thanks - Romeo

[1] Makefile: http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/browser/csw/mgar/pkg/zeromq/trunk/Makefile