[csw-maintainers] c99/stdbool.h with c++

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Fri Jun 22 01:44:08 CEST 2012

Hi All,

I'm trying to build a C++ library with Sun CC and it's pulling in a
header that subsequently includes stdbool.h.  This fails with:

"/usr/include/stdbool.h", line 42: Error: #error "Use of<stdbool.h> is
 valid only in a c99 compilation environment.".

The failure is because _STDC_C99 isn't declared.

I understand that c99 and c++ aren't compatible in some circumstances
(this likely being a good example) but I'd like to try build this
project with Sun CC so that I can test some patches that I submitted.
I've tried using -xc99, -xlang=c99 and forcing the definition of
_STDC_C99.  I either get no better result or an explosing (_STDC_C99)
has other bad effects.

This project will build with g++.

Does anyone have thoughts on building a c++ app that requires c99
features using CC?

Thanks