[csw-maintainers] Tiers

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Tue Mar 6 00:17:13 CET 2012

2012/3/5 Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org>

> Excerpts from Peter Bonivart's message of Mon Mar 05 13:00:13 -0500 2012:
>
> > Active however, I think one way to populate it would be to look at
> > all packages submitted the last 12 months and extract all
> > maintainers from those. Now all packages owned by those maintainers
> > (minus core packages) are active packages. The rest, all minus
> > active minus core, are unmaintained.
>
> I very much like this idea.  It's much simpler and should make
> maintenance easier.

Agreed.

One more thing I just remembered from the last time I looked at it.
Packages from one bundle might end up in different tiers. Mainly
because of dependencies. Take PHP for example. We want PHP to be in
core, but there are multiple modules that might depend on other
packages that are in practice unmaintained. You don't want to include
into core all the packages that PHP modules depend on. So some PHP
modules will be in core, but some won't be.