[csw-maintainers] Autoconf 2.13

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Fri Mar 9 16:22:49 CET 2012

Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:

> Excerpts from Joerg.Schilling's message of Fri Mar 09 06:59:29 -0500 2012:
>
> Hi Jörg,
>
> > autoconf 2.13 is the last correctly working autoconf. This is the
> > release where the schily autoconf was derived from. So why not have
> > a package?
>
> For my own interest, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this in terms
> of what you consider broken after v2.13.

A configure run on SunOS-4.x and other older systems for a medium sized
configurations typpically takes 4 hours.

The code for config.guess has been completely reordered so that it is not
possible to tell whether thare are bad changes inside (note that I added and
forwared many patches to support various additional platforms).

In general, the created shell codes is no longer portable and seems to at least
partially depend on bash bugs.

BTW: schily autoconf fully supports cross compilation (since aprox. a year) and
GNU autoconf still doesn't.

Jörg