[csw-maintainers] Killing the stable release

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu Mar 15 09:20:53 CET 2012

Hi,

Am 14.03.2012 um 18:10 schrieb Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński:
> We've kept the stable release for people to use, calling it backward
> compatibility. But it's not obvious to users that it's dead. We've
> written this in a couple places, but in practice many people will not
> notice, and try to use stable, which will most likely give a bad
> impression of the state of the project.
>
> Therefore, I'd like to propose this radical change: Rename it to
> 'stable-dead'. It will break what we called backward compatibility,
> but here, it's a meaningless concept. Consider these points:
>
> - people who'll try to update from stable, will get errors
>  - but there will be no updates anyway
> - people who are new, will see that it's dead and won't subscribe to
> it, unless they want to subscribe to a dead catalog
>
> So I see no real loss in doing that, and I see a gain in that the
> death of stable will be impossible to miss.
>
> With time, we'll introduce stable by creating a symlink from 'stable'
> to 'dublin', but not earlier than 6 or 12 months after breaking the
> old 'stable' directory.
>
> Thoughts?

As I outlined during the camp I would favor a solution where pkgutil tries to
download some kind of message-of-the-day from the catalog and display it.
We can add such a notice in stable/ while moving all packages to a different
directory. This gives everybody the chance to relocate without breakage.