[csw-maintainers] more file conflicts...

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Fri Mar 16 14:00:32 CET 2012

Excerpts from Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński's message of Fri Mar 16 04:33:12 -0400 2012:

> I'm concerned that you're playing whackamole, while the real problem
> is that there will always be conflicting paths in the real world,
> and the automation has to be able to cope with it.

Well, I could certainly pre-identify these with an appropriate query.
As there aren't that many and it's useful to test this part of the
machinery, I've opted to just let it be found ad-hoc for now...(I just
add an override flag for the right packages and run the job again, so
I'm not being held up on this, I'm just flagging them as they're
found.)

So in a way, it is whack-a-mole...I'm honouring the current policy
which says that packages can't deliver the same file.  As I've said
previously, I dislike this policy.  We have I-deps in the catalog and
as long as a package with a conflicting file declares itself I with
other packages delivering the same file, I don't have a problem with
it.

I do agree with the intent of the current policy, but I think it's
implemented incorrectly.  It wouldn't be nice to have two packages
deliver /opt/csw/bin/imap (for example) as the system doesn't handle
that very nicely.  So there is merit in enforcing some sort of sanity
check on this, but I agree that the current method isn't the right
choice.

This should ultimately be handled at the checkpkg level where the
files and I-deps could more easily be considered against the whole
catalog.  Is that easy to add to checkpkg?  If so, I'll drop the
uniquepaths checks that occur at db registration time and bury my head
in the sand for now. :)

Thoughts?

Thanks