[csw-maintainers] Tiers and metadata support progress

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Sun Mar 18 16:41:35 CET 2012

I've spent some time developing the next version of pkgdb, checkpkg
and the surrounding tools. There are two relatively large subjects I'm
dealing with:

1. More metadata in MySQL tables, allowing checkpkg to look into
things like e.g. two packages shipping the same directory with two
different ownership/permission settings.
2. Tiers support

I'll bundle up both updates into one rollout. It'll be a major one,
involving a complete rebuild of the buildfarm database. I could try to
update the current database, but I want this process to be
reproducible in case we want to build a new buildfarm, or someone else
wants do to so (Peter Felecan comes to mind).

If anyone is even remotely interested in how all this works, I
encourage you to look at my work in progress.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5730057/

It can be helpful to look at the tests, too. They are nice in that
they show one aspect of the code. For example, the new test in the
following file tests a function which consumes data coming from
filesystem indexing and produces fake package representations.

http://codereview.appspot.com/5730057/diff/2001/gar/v2/lib/python/system_pkgmap_test.py

I'll be happy to answer any questions about the code.