[csw-maintainers] albumshaper removal

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Mon Nov 12 14:08:20 CET 2012

Hi Peter+Peter,

Am 12.11.2012 um 13:38 schrieb Peter Bonivart <bonivart at opencsw.org>:
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 12:14 PM, Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński
> <maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
>>
>> 2012/11/12 <pfelecan at opencsw.org>
>>> What's the rationale behind the removal of albumshaper from the catalog ?
>>
>> From another posting[1]:
>>
>> """While at it we dropped a whole bunch of packages probably no longer
>> useful or unmaintained. If any of your active packages is involved we
>> apologize in advance and would kindly request a rebuild."""
>>
>> So you have been apologized to for it in advance, and it's been
>> requested that you rebuild albumshaper and upload it.
>
> But in this case albumshaper was updated just a few months ago by
> Peter F himself so it should be considered actively maintained. Why
> did someone consider the package to be "not useful" without asking the
> maintainer first? Or is there a technical reason for it having to be
> rebuilt just now? That's not clear by the apology.

We tried to identify problematic packages to be dropped by several factors,
like retired maintainer, long time no update or unmaintained dependency.
Obviously some packages swept in the drop list which should have kept.
As we really wanted to getting things done on the camp we decided to
go along with what we got and if any erroneous drops are encountered
reupload them.

So (the other) Peter, apologies again, please repush the package again.

> I think it would have been better to publish a list of packages
> supposed to be deleted from the catalog and let others have an opinion
> about them instead of just removing them and apologizing in general
> for it.

In general I totally concur, but the camps are a unique chance twice
a year to push things and finish them during the weekend which takes
weeks during normal operation.

> I from time to time get emails about not maintaining a package
> any longer so someone either updated my package or it got removed
> without me getting any info about it. It annoys me.

This is a different issue and most of the time the pushing maintainer
does not intend this.

Maciej: How about a slight change in csw-upload-pkg which rejects
foreign uploads to active maintainers unless the maintainer is
either retired/sabbatical or --takeover is specified?