[csw-maintainers] TeXLive packaging take almost 3 days

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Tue Nov 27 18:45:42 CET 2012

Hi Peter,

Am 19.11.2012 um 18:48 schrieb Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org>:
> Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> writes:
>> The numbers are… impressive. I have never optimized pathfilter as it usually
>> runs a second for average packages, so it probably leaves much room. Please use
>>  DEBUG_PACKAGING=1 mgar repackage
>> to get the actual pathfilter invocation and grab the file it is applied to so I can
>> rerun and profile it. I can then happily try to speed it up.
>
> The script containing the invocation of the 2 utilities, as extracted
> from the packaging log, can be found on the build farm at
> ~pfelecan/opencsw/texlive/trunk/4o; beware that the utilities are a
> little bit hacked in my instance of .buildsys/v2…

This is now roughly 40 times faster by precompiling the regexps:
  http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/changeset/19753

There is probably more to gain, but this may help on the first stage.
cswproto depends on pkgproto which already takes some time and uses
precompiled regexps, but it is only called once during packaging
where pathfilter is called for every package.

Please drop me a note how it goes, I will also take more looks on the code.