[csw-maintainers] python library directory

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Tue Oct 23 11:25:54 CEST 2012

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 9:15 AM, Gerard Henry <ghenry at opencsw.org> wrote:
> On 10/20/12 19:03, Ben Walton wrote:
>>
>> I know that Maciej is already looking at python 3.x as the way forward
>> and that's definitely the right choice for the long term...I'm hoping
>

> i hope that you'll continue to maintain python 2.X, because, actually,
> allthe scientific modules are not available for 3.x
> i guess thzat in our community, python is essentially used with scientific
> goals (matplotlib, numpy, scipy, etc...)

This is my sense of the python world too.  Python3 is definitely an
improvement but it will be a long while yet before things are all
either python3 or compatible with both 2 and 3.  A former colleague
has documented this in a few blog postings:

http://utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog/python/Python3MigrationMagnitude
http://utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog/python/MyPythonVersions

So, at the very least, we'll want side by side 2 and 3 for some time.

Thanks