[csw-maintainers] Symbols information and checkpkg database

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Mon Apr 8 18:58:31 CEST 2013

2013/4/2 Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński <maciej at opencsw.org>:
> The new required piece will be the requirement to configure a web
> server to run the REST API. I plan to gradually move all the
> tool-to-db interaction off the database driver and into HTTP.

I spent some time on this over the weekend and I have a proof of
concept for a new simple data store. It's really dumb: it's a REST
interface where you upload a stats JSON file with a PUT request,
delete with DELETE and GET with get (or vice versa?). Internally,
files are simplistically saved on disk with md5 hashes used for file
names. In the future, we'll split that into 2 or more separate files,
to reduce the amount of data to process with one request.

I looked through the statistics collection code and decided that it
needs an overhaul. Unfortunately, there isn't a way other than read
the whole messy code, get to understand it again, and rewrite it. The
main rewrite idea will be to go from the current set of classes with
vaguely stated purposes into a simpler, linear workflow. This will
mean that the workflow will be less flexible, but it looks like in
practice we don't need too much flexibility anyway.

I also noticed some code that is no longer used. One of them is a
package comparator which we used some years ago, but I don't hear
about it being used any more, so I'll delete it.