[csw-maintainers] GAR branches

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu Apr 18 14:49:52 CEST 2013

Hi Mqciej,

Am 18.04.2013 um 10:29 schrieb Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński:
> Added my comments and added Cc: to people who need to respond.
>
> 2013/4/17 Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org>:
>>> bts/
>>
>> I am working on this one for bratislava, it should allow modifying
>> prefix and install location.
>
> We will have to periodically rebase it if we don't want to go insane.

Yes :-)

>>> v1/
>>
>> This is a tag of the old release, it should stay for reference.
>
> Fair enough. Does it have to stay here? Maybe we can create something
> like the tags directory? Branches imply people are working on
> something.

Well, the gar "versions" below mgar/gar are basically tags and I don't see
a point in moving it anywhere else apart from making things more obstruct.

I made some further investigations on the specific branches and deleted most of them
as explained below.

>>> v2-bwalton/
>>
>> This contains changes to makepatch. Ben?
>>  http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/changeset?new=10017%40csw%2Fmgar%2Fgar%2Fv2-bwalton&old=9772%40csw%2Fmgar%2Fgar%2Fv2

This was integrated in r10012:
  https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/changeset/10012
There was one other commit on the branch in r10017
  https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/changeset/10017
which looks erranously and was directly applied to v2 afterwards without merging in r10018:
  https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/changeset/10018

@Ben: I deleted the branch as everything was merged, please make a new branch if required.

>>> v2-fortran/
>>
>> I think this was integrated. Geoff?
>>  http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/changeset?new=12516%40csw%2Fmgar%2Fgar%2Fv2-fortran&old=10862%40csw%2Fmgar%2Fgar%2Fv2

This was integrated in r12517:
  https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/changeset/12517
Therefore I removed v2-fortran.

>>> v2-ips/
>>
>> This contains some work towards IPS, I'll integrate later into one branch to consolidate.
>>
>>> v2-relocate/
>>
>> This was for making relocatable packages which we don't do AFAIK, but it has been
>> integrated AFAIR, Maciej?
>>  http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/changeset?new=8335%40csw%2Fmgar%2Fgar%2Fv2-relocate&old=4939%40csw%2Fmgar%2Fgar%2Fv2
>
> It wasn't me who was working on it. If we don't care about and/or
> actively work on relocatable packages, let's kill this branch. We
> could store the patch for future reference.

The branch has been integrated into v2 in r11739:
  https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/changeset/11739
Therefore I removed v2-relocate/.

>>> v2-solaris11/
>>
>> These are python changes for building SVR4 packages on Solaris 11. AFAIK they
>> have been integrated. Yann, Maciej?
>>  http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/changeset?new=18232%40csw%2Fmgar%2Fgar%2Fv2-solaris11&old=18080%40csw%2Fmgar%2Fgar%2Fv2
>
> I don't know of any outstanding changes that Yann has, but let's wait
> and see what he says.
>
>>> v2-speedup-fetch/
>>
>> This was done by Sebastian, it looks unfinished.
>>  http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/changeset?new=14200%40csw%2Fmgar%2Fgar%2Fv2-speedup-fetch&old=14158%40csw%2Fmgar%2Fgar%2Fv2
>
> Most probably won't get finished. The change looks interesting and
> follows my general idea about moving logic away from GAR. On the other
> hand, I don't see fetching as a significant bottleneck. Maybe let's
> create a patch from this branch, and store it somewhere, while
> deleting the branch itself?

I would just keep it in place until someone picks it up. I just don't see
a downside of leaving it here.