[csw-maintainers] Python 2.7

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Thu Aug 1 01:55:31 CEST 2013

2013/7/31 Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org>
> I followed the discussion on cross-version modules and the more I think about it
> the more I think it would be better to clearly separate modules for different
> Python versions. If you already built them with modulations I don't see the
> point in putting them all in one package instead of having the old (2.6)
> CSWpy- and the new CSWpy27- and CSWpy33- modules. The only possible benefit
> I see is that people who are using 2.6 can pkgutil update and switch to 2.7
> after all has been rebuilt. But that can be achieved with a online shellscript
> installing CSWpy27- for all CSWpy- modules.

One argument for keeping the CSWpy- prefix is that we start with one
2.x version (2.6) and we eventually want to end up with one 2.x
version (2.7). When we go from 2.6 to 2.7, we can introduce the
CSWpy27- packages, but there eventually would only be CSWpy27-
packages and none of CSWpy-. I think that would be just annoyance for
our users. If we can wiggle our way through from 2.6 into 2.7 without
messing around with package names, it's better and smoother for our
users.

I'm curious if anyone will object to my idea to drop the dependency on
the interpreter.