[csw-maintainers] Python 2.7

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Thu Aug 1 14:57:35 CEST 2013

2013/8/1 Yann Rouillard <yann at pleiades.fr.eu.org>:
> Thanks to having renamed libraries package based on their soname, that's
> something that is possible for libraries and I personnally think it's a good
> thing.
> For example, if someone compiled a binary against libssl0.9.8, they will not
> be forced to stick to an old catalog just because of that binary (a binary
> that might not even be recompiled against libssl1.0.0).
> They will be able to move on to a more recent catalog while keeping the
> obsolete libssl0.9.8 package installed.
>
> I would think we could apply the same logic to python packages.

Yes, that's an option. For every CSWpy- package we would now create
CSWpy26- and CSWpy27- package, and the old CSWpy- would become a stub,
pulling in the other two. I'm guessing Peter would object to that on
the basis of catalog churn.

I can grant that it would be on some level transparent and clean. We
just need to decide which way we're going. I was thinking that not
splitting each Python package into three would be a path of less
resistance.

I'll move the Python 3 discussion to a separate thread.