[csw-maintainers] Python 3.x

Maciej (Matchek) Bliziński maciej at opencsw.org
Fri Aug 2 00:15:11 CEST 2013

2013/8/1 Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org>:
> I cannot prove you wrong on an aesthetic consideration... I'm not opposed
> to a shared space as per Debian, we already discussed it but stalled on
> pre-compiled components, i.e. .pyc and .pyo But, as yourself showed, the
> shared space is for compiled stuff.

There are some issues to resolve, but in general Python 3 seems
designed to keep modules in a shared space. One problem to solve is
adding a new version of the interpreter. Consider the following
scenario.

1. There is python3.3 and we build CSWpy3-foo, which provides files to
/opt/csw/share/python3/foo.py; we provide the precompiled .pyc file:
/opt/csw/share/python3/__pycache__/foo-33.pyc
2. python3.4 comes along. We release it. Since we now have no
compilation during installation, we only have the .pyc files we've put
into the module: that is, for python3.3. The result is that we have
slower startup times for the same modules when running python3.4 than
we have for python3.3.

We could ignore the problem. But we could also think about solving it.